Friday, August 8, 2008

Stockholm's Day


The date 080808 is Stockholm's Day, as far as the locals are concerned. It's an evening filled with friendly 'water-war', party, fireworks and dancing the night away. This is because 08 is the area code for Stockholm (national phone code's local number). So everybody's going a bit crazy this Friday, or should I say crazier?
Children born today get a lifetime's free pass to Gröna Lund, the amusement park in the city. People who's birthday is today get to enter for free this lovely day.
7.000 people signed up for a friendly water-war between the north side and the south side of the city. I belong to the south side, so I hope we won! :) The water-war was supposed to take place in Gamla Stan (The Old City), a small central island, but it turned out to be too small! They moved the water-war to the much bigger part of the city called Östermalm. That's where my workplace is, but it was calm when I left, lucky me.

No comments: