Friday, September 26, 2008

Greatest Hits - already?(What is the musical legacy of the music-scene of today?)

Time rushes by terribly fast, doesn't it?
On TV I see my favorite music videos go by the name 'Greatest Hits'. What happened? Has it really been that many years, or is someone playing a trick on me? How old am I? 47? Not quite there yet, but they make me feel like a relic by calling the good old nineties 'Greatest Hits' - as if it's been 30 years.

And judging by the way I don't think much of the music of today, I guess I am older. No longer 16, no longer that easily impressed by songs about what everybody else sings about too.
Some songs are still loved by me (and others?), but some songs surprise me, that I ever liked. But I dodged a few bullets :) Like boy bands, girl bands, hip hop and so on.
But looking at these oldies from the nineties, I must say they were better. Bigger variety, larger number of music styles got good air-time. You didn't have to be thin and beautiful. Follow a style so tightly or be politically correct all the time. More one hit wonders, less factory made ready packages of 'this will work'-bands. Off course there were lot of shit, just like now, but at least it was THEIR shit, something the bands could stand behind. These days it seems to be too much influence from the record labels. That's just wrong! Sell outs, sure, but if you want to be on a major label, you have too. If you want to be able to make music for a living - and live well - you have too. There is no eye for artistical freedom or appreciation for the effort behind musical career. If artists hit the peak of their career at 23, what is left to work toward?
Teenagers know not what they will miss.
What is the musical legacy of the scene of today? Bling bling and booty? It's all about marketing everything but the music (since it sucks).
Middle class kids who've been served opinions all their life - they need true rebellion. True thoughts. Artists are great mind-openers. They give us new angles to issues of the day, give us a chance to stop and reflect.
There used to be many layers in music. I miss that. Give me layers, and I give you hope.

No comments: